Sunday, May 3, 2009

Our first asparagus!

Brian and I picked our first piece of asparagus on Friday!Okay...maybe it was our second "harvesting." Brian picked the first piece while I was in Denver last weekend. Here's how the phone conversation went when Brian called to tell me the news. (We were checking the patch every day.) Just to give all of our readers a background, asparagus might be the only vegetable that Brian likes.

Brian: "Hey Hope?"
Me: "Hey Brian! What's up?"
Brian: "I think there's a piece of asparagus that needs to be picked."
Me: "Okay, go ahead a pick it."
Brian: "What do I do with it afterwards?"
Me: "I guess that you should cook and eat it."
Brian: "Shouldn't I wait for you?"
Me: "No worries...there will be plenty of others and this piece might be too big by the time I get home."
Brian: "Okay, I'll call you back. Bye."
Me: "Bye."

...2 minutes pass...

Brian: "Okay, Hope. I picked it. Now what?"
Me: "Well, I guess you should wash it, then maybe saute it in a little bit of olive oil and sprinkle it with sea salt."
Brian: "Okay, I'll call you back. Bye."
Me: "Bye."

...5 minutes pass...

Brian: "Okay, Hope, I cooked and ate it."
Me: "Oh good! How was it?"
Brian: "Really good, best asparagus I've ever had! But, I think that I missed a step."
Me: "Oh, what's that?"
Brian: "Well, I didn't wash it before I cooked it. Is that okay?"
Me: "I'm sure that's fine, but maybe we'll wash our next piece."
Brian: "Okay, that sounds good. I'll talk to you later. Bye."
Me: "Okay, bye."

THE END

Yup, this is the most excited I've EVER seen Brian over a vegetable...and it may be the first vegetable that he has prepared for himself while I was away. If that isn't blog worthy, I'm not sure what it. Nice work, Brian!

No comments: