Friday, November 14, 2008

Progress so far/ I need a Welder

Last time I posted some pictures of the Jeep it looked something like this.

With some help from Ryan (hopefully his wounds have healed), we tore the jeep down to its frame. Since then I have been working the frame with a wire wheel on my angle grinder and painting the areas that are done.


This also gave me the opportunity to get a really good look at the underside of the body. Well, its not as great as I thought. Originally I was going to do as little as possible to the body because I thought that it was in decent shape. As you can see from the pictures I think that I need a welder. The hat channels are in pretty bad shape. I don't think that I need a new floor (we will see after I clean it up some more) but the Hat channels really need to be replaced.


Lastly here are some pictures of the donor CJ-3A that I bought for the drive train parts. Notice the GPW head that is on the engine. Some previous owner didn't like the fact that Ford stamped the head with there logo so the jerk ground it off. Would have been neat if it was still there (and possible worth something to a early GPW restorer).



My goal is to finish the frame and then work on the differentials, transfer case, and transmission this winter. Hopefully having them done by this spring. This should light a fire under another Jeep fanatic that I know of.

1 comment:

Mom and Dad said...

It's cold up here so it will take more fire! You make me envious of your facilities to work on the jeep. I'll try to post a picture of my frame off project in the next day or so with the area I have to work in. Glad to see that you are making progress. It does look like you need a wire feed. Christmas is coming. I hope to show progress on my project after Christmas when I have some time off.