Wednesday, August 12, 2009

When not to scratch your nose

So, today while Hope was at work, a buddy of mine from work and I went to the annual Pocahontas Machine Auction. There were many things to bid on, but somehow I ended up bidding and winning this.
Its a 1986 Nissan Hardbody Pickup with a four cylender engine and a five speed transmission. I have been looking for a truck that is #1, cheap, and #2 gets good gas milage. (edit: Hope says reliable should be #3 so she doesn't have to rescue me from the side of the road at 5:30 in the morning!)
Now I haven't been to too many auctions, so I am not sure on bidding etiquette, but here is what happened. My buddy Jason and I, after standing in the sun for 6 hours, are ready to bid on this truck. We looked it over pretty good, checked the oil and coolent, shifted it through all its gears, and started it. The motor didn't sound to bad. So, when the bidding began, the price went up to what sounded like $300. I thought I'll jump in here, the bidding will continue, and most likly go for more than I wanted to pay for it. Well when I bidded, two other people did also. They somehow counted me last. The price was up to $375 so I turned to Jason and asked if he thought it was worth going any more. Little did I know I was the last bidder and no one else bid. Jason turned to me and said I think you just bought it. So, I now have a $375 Nissan that I drove 20 miles home without any major problems.

Sure, its not pretty and doesn't have AC, and pretty much goes against every bit of advice and knowledge my father taught me about buying used vehicals, but heck after an oil change and a tune-up it might turn into a pretty good deal.

4 comments:

Ryan + Louise said...

huh....can it drive to Denver? I think I have spent more on going back to work clothes in the last two days than you spent on a used vehicle.....

Hope said...

Ryan, notice there are no close up shots. Everything looks good from 20 feet! Now if I could only find were that strange engine ticking is comming from.

Mom and Dad said...

Brian
I don't think I ever told you about the 1952 International truck I once owned. I'm not sure why I bought it. The rear brakes locked up on a wet road when I was bringing it home and I slid in a ditch. A near by farmer pulled me out and I made it home from there. Grandpa loaned me his brand new 1968 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup so Buis and I could drive to Alaska for a Vacation that summer. He was going to drive the International to work while we were gone. It quit on him the day after we left. Hope you have better luck than I had (and grandpa had) with that one. We all have had something like that at one time or another. Learned a lot. Hope you have good luck with this one.

Dad

Tyler said...

I once bought a goat for almost that much at the auction up here.